Saturday, February 09, 2008

nom nom nom nom nom nom


I just baked this (again!) on (another!) request and I keep telling people how easy it is, so here I present to you Georgie Love's very favourite easy (& very indulgent) one bowl chocolate cake. The kitchen was too dark at the time for good photos without flash (which I insist upon!), so alas, imagination must be used.

Ingredients
250g butter
150g chocolate
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 cup plain flour
3/4 cup self raising flour
1 cup strong coffee
1/2 cup cocoa

1. butter and flour a 22cm springform tin, preheat oven at 180 degrees.

2. on a low heat, put butter, chocolate, coffee and sugar in a saucepan and stir gently until butter and chocolate melts. Put aside to cool slightly.

3. sift flour and cocoa into saucepan, add eggs and stir all together until smooth. Pour mixture in tin.

4. bake for 45 minutes, although I usually keep watch and remove it at about 40 mins, as I think my oven is a hottie.

This cake is VERY dense and delicious and only requires small pieces (but you will have many small pieces, I warn you). I love this recipe and think it's so popular because it's not overly sweet. It has a far bit of sugar, but the coffee and extra cocoa add the richness. You could eat it as is (with coffee or tea, perfection), with cream or warm, with ice cream, however, I always ice it with the leftover chocolate from a 200gram block, butter, cream or milk (whatever is hand in the fridge) and icing sugar.

It's one of those cakes that is rich on the day, but tastes SO MUCH BETTER if you leave it a day or so, so if you choose to make it for a specific purpose, make it the day before (trust me on this!)

I have made this cake so many times, I feel confident to play around with it. I think next time I am going to change the caster sugar (and my local supermarket sells a raw caster sugar, which I think is awesome) for a dark brown sugar and swap the flours around, so it's 1 cup self raising and 3/4 cup plain. Yes, it's already delicious, but I think the brown sugar would make it fudgier and richer. Just to experiment.

An odd fact, I love vintage Mikasa and the set above (curry yellow) was my parents, that they received as a wedding present. I know my mum was upset that plates and mugs had been broken over the years, so when I "inherited" this set, I have been buying the few missing pieces on ebay. Hooray for ebay!

I have a couple of camera s(a big digital SLR I use for Georgie Love, a smaller one that I carry around in my handbag and a pretty decent camera phone). All the photos on this entry were taken with my handbag camera and because I carry it around taking random snaps of things, when I load them into my computer, it's funny to see what other photos I have taken and forgotten about!

It's FEBRUARY and we've been so cold we have been trying to light the fire (all our wood has been wet from the rain, so luck with fire yet!)



January weather! It's supposed to be summer here!



Sufjan Stevens, gosh I loved this concert, but I didn't take many pics. Dr-Mr and I both had the flu when we went.



A Friday afternoon at the cricket! It was sold out, people EVERYWHERE! Amazing to see nearly 90,000 people in one spot. I probably haven't even passed 90.000 people in the street in my lifetime (31, nearly 32 years). The cricket for me is also a very nomnomnomnom event. We eat, drink, laugh and clap.

1 comments:

vivvily said...

I tried this the other day- nom nom nom nom, delicious! Thank you :)