Sunday, April 12, 2009

Craft : A Science Experiment

Hoooo. I have been wanting to write about this for a couple of weeks now, but time has been a precious thing that has eluded me. BUT here I am. I am about to embark on something I call...

THE CRAFT EXPERIMENT - A SCIENTIFIC APPROACH


Actually, there is probably no science in it really, but it IS a craft experiment. Me, I am a thinker, an ideas person and fairly useless with my hands. But it's 2009, I have enthusiasm, I have a few skerricks of time and a lovely, lovely craft book.


EVERYONE has been blogging about Pip Lincolne's book Meet Me at Mikes 25 Fun and Crafty Projects. Slightly confused as there is actually 26 in the book. Anyway, everyone has been blogging about it. Is it as good as they all say, actually yes, it's wonderful - it's a collection of patterns, how tos, and projects to be attempted by anyone.

ANYONE.

I HEAR that call people. So here is my science experiment: I am testing the hypothesis that everyone can craft. To some degree. I told my friend of my venture and she said 'but you are sausage fingers! You don't craft!". THAT IS NOW INCORRECT, I AM CRAFTING. I am going to do all 26 craft projects and blog the results. I WAS going to start from 1 and work my way through to 26, but noting that number 3 is a crocheted panda and considering at this point that I can't crochet a square (but I eventually will), I have decided to be less ambitious and start small. My first project will be revealed shortly, which after a trip to Spotlight to buy some supplies (including my first ever pair of fabric scissors) I am equipped and ready to begin. Hopefully before the end of the Easter Break.

Yes, so far in the experiment we are at the following update: I went to a mega Spotlight, bought supplies, made a dick of myself* joined their club , had my first sewing lesson with Kirsty, a loan of a sewing machine and now Bec and I will be having regular Saturday Morning sewing classes with Amy and picked the first project. Further updates to follow.

(*by being lazy, avoiding queues and overwhelmed by choice, I asked if they had any precut fabric or fabric scrap bags and the staff member looked at me like the idiot I am. Apparently the answer to that is No)

8 comments:

Katherine said...

Whoohoo for craft! I can't wait to see the results.

willywagtail said...

Go girl! Of course you can craft. And as one wise lady said, it is only novices who worry about failures. All the rest of us are used to it.

Fiona said...

Incidentally, I have a tattoo based on the bird illustrations from "I Can Fly", aka Most Cutest Book Ever.

Penelope said...

Oh I so want that lovely book. Until I can get my hands on it, I look forward to crafting vicariously through you...!

Odds'n'Blobs said...

how exciting! have fun! (People at spotlight can be so rude). I wish we had more craft stores to choose from in Australia :( )

pepper said...

what an excellent experiment! wishing you craftiness :)
x Pepper

Michelle said...

Go craftin' Sal!! I'm going to make all 26 projects too, I reckon. Although maybe no thte paper ones, because I'm not much of a "paper" person.

littlechrissy said...

Awesome! I wish you more success with Morris the Sensitive Panda than I had. I spent four hours on his head one evening and it was a shambles. Note: must find lovely person to teach me to crochet.
On a brighter note the paper mobile turned out beautifully!