Sunday, August 09, 2009

The unbearable lightness of being ACE


Ok, third day of big self-props. I am LOVELOVELOVING this week, more for the comments I am reading about people sharing all the good things they like about themselves. It makes me so very, very happy to read. I still feel absolutely self conscious and like a complete tool for talking myself up this week, but that's the point isn't it? Pushing through that ridiculous self consciousness and saying "Not only am I ok, I am AWESOME".

Ok, so. You know what is ace today ? My mouth. Not only is it a good vessel for talking, holds my reasonably straight teeth, is a key feature in being able to kiss.. AND...


I have full lips. They are ace. I don't wear lip gloss because I think it makes them look TOO full. They are the kind of lips that tiny hollywood actresses inject themselves with poison into their face to achieve. I have them naturally. TAKE THAT! HA!

When I was younger and a very, very insecure teenager, my mean older sister made me paranoid about my mouth, all through my teen years, she told me it was odd shaped, ill defined and weird. My sister has thin, villainous lips (thank you Nip/Tuck for the description) and I never realised that her mean and pointless comments stemmed from jealousy. But that is in the past, now I see that my mouth and lips are a good thing.

So yeah. What PHYSICAL feature are you rocking? I know we are all kind, thoughtful and sweet people. But do you have ass that won't quit? (I love that phrase), ridiculously clear skin? Wonderful eyes? Super glossy and thick hair? Killer legs? It's easier for us to talk about our nice personality attributes, because we don't have to put ourselves "out there" as much. We are all so attuned to deflecting compliments and pointing out our physical flaws rather than going yeah, my features work well together, they make up "ME". And I like them. And I am happy to be me. So tell me, what's your best physical feature?

13 comments:

Bailey said...

Your lips are amazing! (in the most non creepy, over the internet way!)

I personally think I'm rockin' the luminous eyes. I'm complemented about them nearly every week and even without people commenting on them, I know they're awesome ;-)
Hehe!

Cath from chunkychooky said...

apparently my legs... so they say...( and your lips are really very lovely!)

Georgie Love said...

Yeah, but Cath, what do YOU say?! :-D

MelbourneVintage said...

Another lovely post! I feel like that about my nose - I broke it a few times and it's kind of wonky, and my sister used to tease me about it, but now I've come to like it heaps. It's grown on me! Har har har har....

ClaireBee said...

Your lips are pretty hot! (in the most non creepy over the internet way #2).

It is strange but now you have pointed it out, it is harder to talk up a physical feature as opposed to a personality one. It makes me think of how many times I have heard comments along the lines of, "OMG look at her... [insert physical feature here]!"
"yeah but she IS a nice person", whether that kind of thinking makes us reluctant to draw attention to our own physical features and say "but I am a nice person" instead.

Also I was very touched by your kind comment on my blog post, thankyou.

Aussie-waffler said...

Well look at you Ms Lovely Lips, many a Hollywood actress would be tres jealous. I inherited my mother's cheekbones, nice European checkbones. I hope Petal gets them too (that would be a nice little trifecta me thinks) although her chubby moosh cheeks are currently a delectable delight.

Betty Jo said...

I was teased about my lips as a kid. They weren't Angelina big, just right for my face I guess. My daughter Lily has an even better version. No pumpin' up the volume for these babies!

Trove said...

Loving these loving posts Sal. You are indeed awesome and you know what? So am I. (Ha! I really do feel like a knob!)

I have quite nice hands. Very long fingers and elegant hands. So that's pretty cool. Plus someone on a plane once told me that I had a lovely mouth with ends that curve up and that that meant I would have good fortune in life, so I'm holding onto that one too.

xx Brooke (loving herself sick.)

A Life So Peachy said...

I like, ok love, my eyes. They are an unusual colour and pretty. They are the same as my dads & opas and that makes me happy :)

The downside- they are very expressive and apparently every thought I have... shows in them. Damn!

And yes you have lovely lips and your sisters taunting had to be jealousy... speaking from thin lipped experience :)
jess

Juicy Roo said...

I love it! The self-adoration factor that is. OK so I love my crazy red hair. I was mortified about it growing up: grannies in the street would stop me and say how lovely it was, kids who were complete strangers would yell things like "hey!! period-head!!"...so i think its obvious which comments had more power. But I grew to love being different. Now when I see a grey hair I'm sad I spent so many years loathing it. LOVELY LIPS SAL!

edward and lilly said...

Yeah, your lips are ace.

Mine would be my eyes, and my shoulders, and my smile, actually now that I think about it there are a few features I like about me.

m i s s b é b a said...

hey hot lips! you're hilarious and awesome and have such great talent with stringing words together! love your work! i'm sporting extra hormonal skin at the moment but i love my eyelashes, wrinkle-less skin and great legs, especially when they tan a gorgeous golden shade in sea, sand and sun. not so much now. pasty white and hairy. not a good look. bah!

Splendid Little Stars said...

so now everyone's calling you hot lips! If you have it, flaunt, it! right?!
right!
I like my legs, always been slim and since I work out, have muscle tone. yay! Also, I love to ride my (road) bike, and they are very important in that activity.