Friday, September 18, 2009

BARGAIN COMMUNITY SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT AND SLIGHT RANTY MOMENT


I love many things, but one thing I DO love is bargains. I have had the same pair of glasses for a couple of years and because I got a fairly expensive frame/ anti glare etc it cost me like $800 or so (Funky Specs in Collingwood, great shop but pricey). I think I am avoiding getting my eyes retested because I don't have a spare $1000 lying around right now. But I DO have a spare $50.

It's always pissed me off how we pay a premium on EVERYTHING we buy in Australia, because of the distance we are from everything and because our market isn't as big as the US or Europe so to make money selling items to fewer customers, everything is more expensive. It's sad but if I am not buying locally or handmade (which is seriously a huge lot of things, where I can), I am searching out the biggest bargain I can find. I buy nearly everything on the internet - I am currently wearing internet shoes and jeans (Dorothy Perkins on sale), internet underwear (undercoverexperience.co.uk - free shipping), an Australian made top bought in Healesville ($60) and handmade jewellery (3 seperate necklaces, 1 from Emma Grace, the other two are etsy purchases). And on my face - half of the make-up I am wearing is internet bought, because INCLUDING shipping costs, it is FAR cheaper to buy cosmetics online and have them sent over than down at Priceline/Myer/Salon.

Is it very green? No. I wish it was, but I make up for it by buying locally produced meat and vegetables and everything else I can. It's a trade-off.

SO, I didn't mean for this to become a great rant because I just wanted to tell you about the BARGAIN I found and I am so ridiculously pleased to share with you. Zenni Optical, you can get prescription glasses shipped to you for $9 US. Frames and lenses start from $8US (for a super bargain pair,) to the average of about $25US and tints/etc are a little extra. So yep, a new and reasonably funky pair of glasses for under $40US including shipping. Ridiculous! I have been reading reviews of the site which are mostly favourable (with the main complaint is that shipping can take longer than the 2 weeks quoted), but for the price you can't go wrong. I have been lokoing for a pair of green glasses for forever. I may try with the ones above.

2 comments:

Penny said...

HOLY CRAP THAT IS CHEAP! My last pair of glasses was about $600. This is SO CHEAP! And it's only $9 extra is you have totally dodgy eyes like mine. Omigod I am so excited!

Georgie Love said...

I KNOW. I am going to get like 5 different pairs.