Sunday, January 24, 2010

Things I do that embarrass DrMr terribly

Item 476: Being a Hard Rubbish-er. If there is stuff left on the side of the road, I am into it. In fact, and embarrassingly, his nickname for me is Binnie. Because he thinks I love rubbish in bins. I don't get embarrassed, I wave to the locals on their street and a friendly nod to the other Binnes cruising in their cars. Anyway...

HARD RUBBISH LOVERS OUT THERE, GET YOURSELF TO NARRE WARREN NOW, IT WAS RIDICULOUS (opposite Fountain Gate, Princes Hwy side). We drove to the JB HiFi there to buy a present for someone and noticed there was hard rubbish and it was INSANE. I might declare Narre Warren as the most wasteful suburb in Victoria, we saw (MULTIPLES OF) great condition lounges, dining room suites -complete dining tables and chairs in perfect condition, outdoor furniture, cots, wardrobes, coffee tables, tv cabinets, everything. I am not kidding, I could furnish a complete house with what we found - and with decent condition stuff too. It was crazy. Oh and every second house had vintage suitcases, if that is your thing.



Not for the first time, I rued our tiny little Mazda 2 and insisted the next car will be a van or station wagon. But we were lucky enough anyway and I was thrilled with our score. I have been looking for a second hand sewing machine on ebay for a while and I found not one, but two sewing machines (Janome and Singer) - both in working condition.


The Janome is the more modern machine, so I think I will get that one serviced (it needs a new globe at the very least) and then find someone to bug for some refresher lessons on how to use it. Although it even has the instruction booklet with it and instructions for an overlocker and I am now kicking myself that there could have been an overlocker there that I didn't find as well.



The singer has all the fancy feet though. Being the sewing novice that I am, I can't even tell you what you use them for, other than FEET! SHINY! But I think they might be able to be used on the other one? Don't laugh at me, I really have no idea.

One question though The Janome is missing the bobbin holder, but the Singer has one - are they essentially the same and can I use the one from the Singer in the Janome, or does it need a Janome specific one?


Our other scores: a few board games with all their pieces intact - hurrah (who wants to come over and play the YTT game??!!!) (side note, see that tiny little shadow box on the bookshelf on the far left, filled with even tinier little ceramic animals????? $5 at an op shop in Mooloolaba! On the right is a piece from Jules Knobock)


and this most beautiful 1966 memory card game, which has the most BEAUTIFUL images, I just picked a few favourites from the box, there are heaps (108 cards). I can see this going home to a crafter. I am in two minds, keep or swap. KEEP OR SWAP?

Other great things, DrMr and I went on a DATE last night, which was awesome (thanks again Bec), and I am about to enroll in an evening ceramics course (which I have always loved, but I am not certain if enthusiasm matches skill), so all that with my twice weekly yoga means my dance card is pretty and happily full.

16 comments:

Bec said...

Hope you had a lovely date, great night for outdoor movie-ing! Can I tell you how much I NEED those memory cards, they are fantastic! The pictures are so wonderful. They are definitely a keeper in my opinion. And for the most fantastic part of that post: TWO working machines! I think you really hit the jackpot there, although the YTT board game, that is RAD! Can I be Johnny?

CurlyPops said...

I'm so bummed that my council doesn't have the open slather hard rubbish anymore. Maybe I should move?

Cosy said...

Don't swap! I have the same set, bought from the Salvos. They're a keeper. You'll love just gazing at them. They are that good!

Carolyn

m.e (Cathie) said...

helllo. YTT game & 2 sewing machines!!! wow, you went to binnie heaven with a smile.
I love a good hard rubbish area and the suitcases, please tell me you didn't leave them there in the cold.
love your finds Sally, ALL of them.

Helen said...

I am delurking because OMG OMG OMG! That memory card game is the exact same one that I used to play with as a child! I absolutely adored it - playing it & the images! What an absolutely AmaZing score!

Leonie said...

What a great haul! With regard to the sewing machines: normally can't swap bobbin holders between the two, often a completely different shape just to be annoying. The singer looks like my mum's oldest machine which my little sister still has and it works better than the newer Janome I have. Had a quick look and it looks like your singer is a stylist 513, there should be a number on it, can't read it in the photo, there are manuals available to download online for free if you want one. See if you can work out the model of the Janome so you can work out whether you can get a replacement bobbin holder for it. I'd do this before servicing either so you know which one is worth doing. I'm always partial to the older singers they are more solid, were built to last and don't feel as plasticy as the newer ones! Let us know how you go, what a great find!

Betty Jo said...

We too had the same memory game, but naughty me slowly but surely used up all the cards for Betty Jo things......Nat over at Arthur's Circus has framed them and that looks ace. Maybe 16 set out in a square behind glass?
I could help you with the rejects!
We are having our yearly hard rubbish collection in a few weeks, and the ever patient Mr BJ will lug all the curb side junk I have picked up over the year and take it to our curb side. Nothing changes at our place.

Holly Homemaker said...

Always great to meet a fellow binnie! Good finds aren't common around my area anymore but that doesn't stop me from having a good stickybeak! Hahaha

kris said...

Imagine sewing feet jewellery!

OMG! Swoon!

Sarah said...

Did you know Sally that the term Binnie was (not sure if it still is) used for the "bogan" types that frequented the neighborhoods which you now live?! We basically called anyone from Cockatoo a binnie is school - although I'm sure the good people of Cockatoo are much more civilized now.
AND Do you remember that episode of The Wonder Years when the mum took up ceramics - just springs to mind, although I'm sure you'll be much more talented!!

Georgie Love said...

Sarah, that's hilarious, although I refer to myself as a hillbilly rather than a Binnie. And FUNNY YOU SHOULD SAY I have totally been thinking of that episode, where the Dad broke that horrible mug she made!!!!

yardage girl said...

Great finds! I too had that memory game - I think it might still be at mum and dads! As for the bobbin holder - they'll replace it with a Janome one when you get it serviced - they don't cost much as they are interchangeable between Janomes. cheers, Nic

Fiona said...

Sally. There is now I slight chance that I will murder you to inherit those cards. Will you trust me ever again? Because I can't.

Though if you take more pictures we may be able to reach some kind of compromise involving nonmurder.

Angie said...

That memory game is amazing, you could always swap with me for something not nearly as great (I would try, but it is so very ace)

Gypsy said...

Oh my gosh, those cards are awesome!

There is a fantastic sewing machine service guy in Tecoma, he has been servicing machines for about 150 years and there is nothing he doesn't know! His number is 9754 3836.

Anonymous said...

The Janome sewing machine you found has a User Manual OMG :) A friend gave my a very similar model and im seeking for its Model Name etc so I can hunt down a owners manual?