It took me about an hour to figure out how to put cotton on the bobbin and thread the machine. The machine DID have a manual with it, but it is so mouldy and stuck together, that I had to rip it apart to get a clue. And then wash my hands. Thoroughly.
Without much further ado, I pushed on and made this skirt for Ruby. I had been thinking about what to make and figured a skirt would be easiest and didn't need a pattern.
the insides were really rough.
The outside even worse! Still, it's a little long on her, but I will still make her wear it. I was feeling proud, I MADE SOMETHING.
Ridiculously buoyant about my success (I need a win at the moment, whatever form it will take) , I had a think about what went wrong with last one and took a LOT more care with my next effort.
I tucked away the fraying edges and sewed as carefully and straightly as I could.
Top and bottom and this is about as straight as I can sew, unfortunately..
But, TADA! Look! I made something! And it's not too bad!!!!
Even the seams match up nicely.
I think Amy (former sewing teacher!) would be pleased to see that I even ironed my seams flat. And neatish. Sort of.
Now I am just showing off (I know I shouldn't have used white thread, but it was already loaded and I only have black or white thread so that was it. It took me SO LONG to get the mechanics sorted the first time, I was too lazy to change). Unfortunately with this one, I decided to finish it off with a Sukie iron-on transfer on the pocket, which instead just became a yucky brown and pink smudge.
IF YOU ARE NOT RIDICULOUSLY IMPRESSED, WE CAN NO LONGER BE FRIENDS. I am actually surprised how therapuetic and calming I found sewing. It was a good use of time. I want to make some tops now, but will have to think about those in my head for a while. Sure, I could use a pattern, but I don't need one, BECAUSE I AM SO EXPERIENCED NOW.