Saturday, February 13, 2010

I Made it Myself, The Georgie Love edition

So, as you know I found a sewing machine in hard rubbish, had it serviced and finally cracked it open today (after buying some cotton and fabric scissors this morning. seriously). I am not an experienced sew-er in the slightest, I had a few sewing lessons sometime in the middle of last year, which I performed unspectacularly at. Now, finally having my own machine, hopefully it will click. I essentially wanted to learn to sew so I could make cute things for Rubes.

It took me about an hour to figure out how to put cotton on the bobbin and thread the machine. The machine DID have a manual with it, but it is so mouldy and stuck together, that I had to rip it apart to get a clue. And then wash my hands. Thoroughly.



Without much further ado, I pushed on and made this skirt for Ruby. I had been thinking about what to make and figured a skirt would be easiest and didn't need a pattern.



the insides were really rough.


The outside even worse! Still, it's a little long on her, but I will still make her wear it. I was feeling proud, I MADE SOMETHING.

Ridiculously buoyant about my success (I need a win at the moment, whatever form it will take) , I had a think about what went wrong with last one and took a LOT more care with my next effort.


I tucked away the fraying edges and sewed as carefully and straightly as I could.


Top and bottom and this is about as straight as I can sew, unfortunately..


But, TADA! Look! I made something! And it's not too bad!!!!


Even the seams match up nicely.


I think Amy (former sewing teacher!) would be pleased to see that I even ironed my seams flat. And neatish. Sort of.


Now I am just showing off (I know I shouldn't have used white thread, but it was already loaded and I only have black or white thread so that was it. It took me SO LONG to get the mechanics sorted the first time, I was too lazy to change). Unfortunately with this one, I decided to finish it off with a Sukie iron-on transfer on the pocket, which instead just became a yucky brown and pink smudge.

IF YOU ARE NOT RIDICULOUSLY IMPRESSED, WE CAN NO LONGER BE FRIENDS. I am actually surprised how therapuetic and calming I found sewing. It was a good use of time. I want to make some tops now, but will have to think about those in my head for a while. Sure, I could use a pattern, but I don't need one, BECAUSE I AM SO EXPERIENCED NOW.

17 comments:

melissa said...

I l.o.v.e that you just dived in and went for it! Pattern? Who needs one of those?

The skirts look great. That si the best thing about little girls - the little skirts and dresses are (relatively) easy to sew.

I like the rainbow spot one best, I think. :D

Sarah Jane said...

Yey!!! They look great!

It doesn't take long to get the hang of it! xo

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

I KNEW IT! I knew it!!! You DON"T have sausage fingers! HA! see, this is how it all starts... i am warning you now!!! This is how I started... "I might just sew somthing for the munchkin".... next thing you know.....and the secret of sewing clothes I eckon is learnig the order in whcih you sew them ie. side seams before hem etc thats a huge part of it... and once you work that out which you very quickly will.. you will be on FIRE!!! the skirts are so fantastic and I am so proud of you !!! I don't mean that to sound patronising at all- I really am so stoked that you gacve it a go and it came out great- AND YOU are happy with it! well done Sally!!!

Megan said...

very very ridiculously impressed! i find sewing without a pattern much more fun because the feeling when you get it right is just so good (and it really sux when you follow a pattern and it turns out all wrong)

love the spots!!

Veronica Darling... said...

FREAKING EXCELLENT.

They are really great skirts, and totally a great first effort! Plus, so good that Ruby is wearing them as well!

I think I've said before, I'm self taught, and totally trialled and errored my whole way through, and am now a freaking genius seamstress. I am always too lazy to change thread colours over too.

Can you take off the pocket and put another one on to get rid of the smudge?

Great work sweets!

Georgie Love said...

Aw. Warm fuzzy feelings and tears in my eyes, Seriously!

Fiona said...

Holy crapola, any time you make fun of your sewing again I am going to mock you. Relentlessly. They are too too adorable!

(lol, my word verification is "fally". I will take it too mean a shortening of "foolish Sally" who thinks she can't sew.)

Vic said...

Oh, look at those! Look at you! How awesome are they?! How awesome are you?!

That second skirt is GORGEOUS. I mean... really, really.

I AM ridiculously impressed. I am.

Congrats on getting stuck straight in - you're a natural, me thinks!

Thereisabuttonmissing said...

You have done such a wonderful job. Well done.
I am also sewing challenged - probably moreso than you however you have inspired me!

Sarah said...

Well done well done - just takes practice and then you will be spilling out more amazing things!

I love the skirt and she looks SO beautiful.. Sweet little curls at the back : o )

CurlyPops said...

I'm definitely ridiculously impressed. Can I still be your friend?

Buttons by Lou Lou said...

You go girl!!!

leslie said...

you. rule!! seriously : )

Kate said...

Too cute!!
Be warned though, sewing stuff for little people is highly addictive.

Bee the Comics Widow said...

Ooooh! Nice flat seams :) Well done you for doing these without a pattern. I can relate to not wanting to change over bobbins, I only have cream and black in mine. Congrats on a super job lady!

Bec said...

oh. my. god. sal!! you are amazing!! can you whip me up a ridiculously sweet skirt now, i care not for straight hems or neat seams!! xxx

Androides2007 said...

Pretty job!
I've visited your shop. It's really cute. :-)