Friday, March 12, 2010

Where I tell you what an anal retentitve hypocrite I am.


1. No television. Well, there is still very little television in the house, but we discovered the 5:30pm In The Night Garden session which is perfect. It's after 5pm dinner and before the 6:00pm bath, formerly known as "The Awkward Time". When she is getting tired, cranky and more than a little violent. These multiple scratches on my face aren't from scraps in the street with people invading my personal space. DrMr and her watch it together while I get the bath ready, so he is completely across the whole thing, while I am still quite baffled about the appeal. He sums it up for me as "they all just do tripped out things in the garden and then go to sleep".



2. No eating and watching tv.
Ruby is RIDICULOUSLY fussy and mealtimes often involve her pointing to various random things in the kitchen and getting hysterical at whatever I put in front of her. Which is homemade and delicious and different every day. She is FINALLY over the yoghurt obsession, but has a new obsession. CHEESE. But not any cheese, it has to be grated and it has to be available in abundance. But she won't eat enough to fill herself up and not wake in the night HUNGRY. I discovered one mealtime when DrMr was vacuuming the kitchen and Rubes was having her dinner upstairs in the lounge that when the tv is on and she is eating, she will eat anything. In large quantities. I don't know if it's the trigger of being distracted, away from the fridge of cheesy delights or what, but it's true. I know ALL the advice of start how you want to finish and it's such a dangerous habit to get in to, but she EATS and doesn't SCREAM and sometimes that's good enough. It's not every day and when the weather is good we eat outside or elsewhere and change the scenery, but after a few days of dinners of just cheese or bread and butter and I want to get some vegetables in her, it does the trick.

And seriously, I have tried everything - we eat with her all together as a family, we have her favourite toys around and pretend they are enjoying everything on the plate too, we make it as relaxed as possible (she is the only one in tears) once we figure out what she wants to eat, then we serve it to her.


3. No brand name or merchandise toys. Oh lordy. Obviously Rubes has a ton of handmade toys, wooden and sensory toys, musical instruments, things with a Steiner or Montessori slant. I have been really careful when choosing books and toys for her, there are of course things she has with lights and noises which she loves, but you know - I am a self righteous and anal parent, so meh. ;-) We went to buy her an easel yesterday and I rejected the ones available (Dora and Thomas) and DrMr says, let's look at the Night Garden toys. Well we did. She saw IgglePiggle in a box and hyperventilated. DrMr insists we buy it for her, I am like ehh... ok, she seems to like it (hugging the box at this stage, refusing to let go anyway). DrMr said, well look they have Night Garden WOODEN toys, let's get her one of those too (a carousel thing) and then on the way out of the store, we see that the DVDS are on sale. I say, well it's on tv like 3 times a day, she is probably ok with just that but he insists 2 hours of entertainment for $12 is a baragin. Ok, so pick one, no all all three he says. So we leave with soft toys, a wooden thing and three dvds. IT. IS. OVER.


4. Ruby is not having a boyfriend until she is 45. We took IgglePiggle out of the box and instead of sleeping in the car as predicted on the way home, she hugged, chatted to and made out with her toy. He is her new boyfriend. It's the CUTEST and most disturbing thing I have ever seen. She has not let go of him since she got him. Hysteria when he could not go in the bath with her. Went to sleep and woke up cuddling him. That girl is in big L Love. When did this happen? We only started watching the show about a week or so ago. And he has a BEAN SHAPED HEAD. Love my friends, is blind.

I went out yesterday and came home to find Rubes wandering about cuddling the Iggle Piggle softy and the little wooden version clutched tightly in her hand. I give in, nothing else has ever brought her as much joy.


5. I am going to grow my hair long. Nope. The Javier Bardem look bested me, and I went and saw my hairguy and insisted he cut it all off. Which he did. I can't seem to take a nice photo of myself to save my life at the moment, so just imagine it. Shorter. And a little bit syled. Yep.

6. Never Participate in Public Speaking. Ever Again. on 19 April Craft Vic are holding another Craft to Consumer forum about how to sell your craft. These always sell out, so book in soon if you are interested. And when you are there remember that I hate public speaking and it fills me with anxiety, but I genuinely feel I can pass on some helpful stuff so I do it.

IN RANDOM BONUS NEWS: After 4 or so hours cleaning, the long weekend and forecast storm brought only ONE person to our open for inspection last weekend. Fingers crossed for a better turn out tomorrow or I am never making an effort again. EVER. With ANYTHING. I am tired and boy does it show.

9 comments:

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

yes, I too was anti TV when Busy was a babe in arms. alas, now she watches it all the time. i don't feel bad about it. It actually helps our hosue run smoothly. When she is al ready , dressed fed in the morning she watches it so we can get ready etc. She isn;t watching NCIS or anything...
as for the merch I have so far resisted- my issue with it is the branding. if its a toy- like the one you bought - to me that fine- but if its the lunch box with it on it I feel like tis just teachibng them that its better if it has a label.
my 2 cents worth.
Either way you are doing a top job. Always.Look how happy she is!!!

Melbourne Vintage said...

Have you changed hairdresser? I still have the Javier Bardem do, complete with old-man side-parting comb-over *cries*
Sounds like great fun growing up with you - I'd like cheese and Nightgarden and toys! She looks happy as anything I've ever seen so clearly you're doing it all right!xxx

Georgie Love said...

Cath - Oh I would agree, but I am thinking if she had her beloved on a bowl and in a spoon, perhaps it would convince her to EAT HER GODDAMN DINNER? :-)

Tina - yes, I changed hairdresser, I went back to my old guy who is very good. I just needed a change and went to Fur. I went back, but he knew I had strayed. Will give you his deets if you want to try him!!!

Ellieboo said...

I tell you what I cant stand - merchandise clothing but Grandpa and Nanny keep sending the stuff. Do you think my boo will give her little handcrafted dress a second look - no she screams "I want the Daisy top" "DAISY TOP".

You cant get away from the stuff I tell ya and they love it.

PottyMouthMama said...

I read a GREAT article about how good 'good' tv can be - and In the Night Garden was one of the programs they cited as being excellent for littlies because they can relate to the characters. And that was the whole crux of the 'good' tv. If the child watching it was around the same age as the characters portrayed, and it was a quality program, then it was deemed good. Or something like that anyway. But I remember feeling chuffed bc I am a HUGE In the Night Garden fan. And now Scouty LOVES it too. And just this weekend she conned us in to buying her a Makka Pukka doll which has gone everywhere, and everywhere else in between - seriously. Our girls are in love with stuffed toys and there's nothing we can do about it except nurture it.

I did not know about the late screening of In the Night Garden, but come 5:30pm today we will be watching it. I will try and hypnotise Scouty into doing good deeds for the rest of the day.

Thanks for the red hot tip and hope you are inundated with viewings tomorrow. Here's hoping toots. x

PottyMouthMama said...

I read a GREAT article about how good 'good' tv can be - and In the Night Garden was one of the programs they cited as being excellent for littlies because they can relate to the characters. And that was the whole crux of the 'good' tv. If the child watching it was around the same age as the characters portrayed, and it was a quality program, then it was deemed good. Or something like that anyway. But I remember feeling chuffed bc I am a HUGE In the Night Garden fan. And now Scouty LOVES it too. And just this weekend she conned us in to buying her a Makka Pukka doll which has gone everywhere, and everywhere else in between - seriously. Our girls are in love with stuffed toys and there's nothing we can do about it except nurture it.

I did not know about the late screening of In the Night Garden, but come 5:30pm today we will be watching it. I will try and hypnotise Scouty into doing good deeds for the rest of the day.

Thanks for the red hot tip and hope you are inundated with viewings tomorrow. Here's hoping toots. x

brusselsprouts said...

Thank God for ABC2! I sit Mr 1 & Mr 2 in front of the tv everynight at 5.30 for dinner because they will eat anything while watching that show. Mummy in the meantime has a glass (or two) of red. I also hate the commercial toys and the inlaws keep us stocked in them (I secretly pass them on to the Salvo's)but I did cave in and buy a Makka Pakka which has had some serious and a little disturbing hugging and kissing sessions with Mr 2 but hey it gets him into bed everynight.

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

and Sally, Busy eats about 12 different types of food and often has yoghurt from frozen raspberries for dinner. Often. I figure she isn't going to starve herself so i try not to stress about it. She sue to eat way more than she does now.

leslie said...

dude, we jumped on the night garden train months ago! haven't succumbed to the toys yet but we've got three dvds too... and i think mae has a crush on the giggle & hoot guy, gets all smiley and shy when he comes on : )