Monday, December 06, 2010

More Gift Ideas

So, I am languishing on the bed, in front of the fan now that the kidlet is finally having a nap.  I am writing responses for a newspaper interview about online shopping ideas for Christmas (and I don't think they will be prepared for the essay that I have given them... it's uh.. something I am passionate about).  BUT one of my favourite things on my list that I wanted to share with you, is this:



It's a handmade wooden fairy door from Monkeytail and Wellington.   They have premade ones, or you can custom your own, but isn't it the most DELIGHTFUL thing in the universe?  I have given it as a gift in the past, and it is just one of those special things that is an absolute winner for little people with a fairy fascination!

This is what the store says about them:

Not all fairies like to live in the garden. Some are metropolitan dwellers who take to suburban homes and apartment buildings. But how do they get there and where do they live? Well, if you want fairies to enter your home, you need to install a fairy door and we have just the ticket!

Fairy doors can only be opened inwards using Fairy magic and if they are forced open the fairies will see this as a break and enter and will flee to safer pastures. Due to their size, fairy doors are quite delicate and are designed for ornamental purposes only. Your child can still interact with the fairy door, but the idea is to leave letters, teeth and gifts for the fairies to see what magic happens in return.

In our house, we secretly placed the fairy door in a corner outside our children├»¿½s bedroom and waited until they had noticed the door themselves. Then a few days later, we sprinkled fairy dust near the entrance to the door and left them a little note from the fairies and some fairy chocolate treats.

Each fairy door comes with a miniature key and a vial of fairy dust, and instructions on how to install your fairy door. Fairy doors attach to the wall with double sided tape and are removable, so if you move home your fairy can move with you! Each door is 1/12th the size of a regular human door, which is approximately 25cm high by 15cm wide.

Each door that we create is unique and one of a kind. We use only child friendly paints and glues.

7 comments:

MsPIGgii said...

OMG these fairy doors are absolutely magical. Such a fun way to reward kids for being obedient. The site is taking it's time loading but will definitely look into these for my nieces and nephews. Can't wait to have a child of my own so I can get one for myself. I can already imagine those precious moments. When she loses her first tooth and leaves it by the tiny door for the pink fairy awwwwwww.... it's just too sweet. Thanks for sharing this great find =)

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

wwe told busy that on her 3rd birthday she would be able to see fairies , we put a door up outside a very rustic wooden one from esty and she wias thrilled to bits, she still leaves little present sfor the fairies next to there door.

cheska said...

Hi, I think is the coolest thing I've ever seen :) I want one!!!! This is really cute. I'm sure not just kids would love to have this as a present. Adults too.

Virginia said...

That is awesome! Thanks for passing it on.

oldflowers4me said...

SquEAL.....i have a little lilac door in our house as well....

Buttons by Lou Lou said...

I saw some of my buttons in a newspaper thanks to you I believe - thank you! Those fairy doors are absolutely adorable!!!

rony said...

The site is taking it's time loading but will definitely look into these for my nieces and nephews.
Online Shopping ideas