Monday, February 13, 2012

GOOD THINGS MONDAY - Sharing is caring

image
Ok, more than anything else I (hardly ever) cook, I get asked for the recipe I am about to share with you.  It is my go-to cake.  Do you have a go-to cake?  The fail-proof, easy peasy but delicious thing you can get in the oven within 10 minutes and IMPRESS PEOPLE with when they pop over all warm and delicious freshly made.  Fancy.  This is my cake and luckily it is delicious.  I don't know where I got it from, but I cook it so often (once a week at least) that I don't need to look at a recipe to make it.

I love that it only has 5 ingredients (I have a million recipe books that I NEVER use, I realised recently .that I don't use them because a big list of ingredients tends to put me off and overwhelm me)

So here is my DISCLAIMER: If you make it today, you may eat it and go meh it's certainly nice, but not worth all the fuss Sally.  If I am making it for an occasion (I made it on Friday for the lunch at our house on Saturday, covered in butter icing and orange zest, served on a platter with juicy grapes and watermelon), I ALWAYS make it the day before as it just moistens even more and the orange flavour develops even more. Nomnomnom.

Anyway, short point - this is my fave cake recipe.  It is quick and easy and super tasty, particularly if you make it a day ahead.

GEORGIE LOVE'S WHOLE ORANGE LAZY LADY CAKE
 ingredients:
1 Whole Orange
1 Cup Caster Sugar
1.5 Cups Self Raising Flour
3 Eggs
180 Grams Melted Butter or Margarine

instructions:
Preheat oven to 180 (or 160 fan forced).  Wash your orange, I usually cut the little green tip off and then cut into quarters.  Chuck into a food processor and blend until orange is all mashed up and smooth.  Add everything else, don't even sift the flour, just chuck it all in and process until smooth.  I have made this as a circle cake and cupcake, but most usually a bar tin which I just spray with alfa one oil spray and line with baking paper.   Chuck in oven, cook for 40-60 minutes.  Check around 40 with a skewer and see if it comes clean - if not, bake a little longer.  If top starts to brown before cake is fully ready, cover top of tin with a little more baking paper, this stops it browning (THANKS for the tip CWA Cookbook!)

I sometimes ice, only if requested by DrMr or we have company - I find butter icing with lemon or orange zest on top is perfect, I have thought about doing a white chocolate icing or orange syrup drizzle, but can't go past the old favourite.

Would love to know if you make it and what you think.

1 comments:

willywagtail said...

Mmm. Will definitely have to try this as I love orange cakes of any description. I've pinned it so I won't forget. Cherrie