Friday, January 04, 2013

2012... it was the year that was the year of stuff

I am not a big resolution maker.

But I have been thinking a lot about the end of last year in this now new year, like I said before, everyone I know had a pretty trying 2012, and there is a lot of hope for the new year.  Hope is nice.  I have been instead gathering in my head all the stuff from this year that is significant or otherwise.

THE THINGS THAT HAPPENED IN MY WORLD


We added to the family with another dog!  This is Suki with Georgie, she is a German Shepherd/Husky cross (this photo entitled George's mini-me was taken in JUNE, Suki is now small pony size, possibly double the size of George who is a big dog).  She is big and soft-hairy and we were given her when she was 6 weeks old.

We have been lucky with all our animals, she has a lovely nature, is gentle with kids and happy to chill with the other animals.  It's also weird having an obedient dog who comes when called.


Last year I changed my idea of what a friend looks like.  So we moved to a new place (Armidale, NSW with a population of about 27,000) at the end of 2011, so it has been our first year in our new home.  I was desperately lonely for adult company and I would jump on DrMr when he got home and grilled him about all aspects of his day.  I would strike up conversations with random drunk, crazy people in line with the post office.  Small towns are famous for being a bit cliquey with newcomers and Armidale is no different.  But... I made new friends, I swallowed my pride, put myself out there and pulled people into my circle who I wouldn't have necessarily connected with before - and I would have missed out on that in Melbourne.  GOSH, LOOK AT THIS NEWFOUND MATURITY.


I grew my hair long.  Which is weird as I have always been a short haired lady.  I also discovered that my hair at the roots is so silvery grey now, that I look like a freaking tinsely Christmas ornament.


I lost my fear of bugs, spiders, snakes.  Except for these crazy pink moths who seem to mate once a year and absolutely covered our windows one night, it was this horrendous cannibal sexing bug orgy.  DISGUSTING.

I found a job that I finally REALLY like.  I wake up in the morning and am happy to go to work.  Gosh it makes a big difference, doesn't it?


I sort of fell into a community.  I am and have always been a city girl.  I RELISH anonymity which does not happen in a small town.  In the city, I would feel uncomfortable in a cafe if they knew how I liked my coffee.  BUT HERE, if I go to the supermarket and don't see 4 people I know, it's EXTREMELY ODD.... and, and... I kind of like it.  Just a little bit.  But people in this town can not drive and I do want to punch them all in the face when they do not know how to behave when they find themselves AT A ROUNDABOUT.

We thought we would have a third baby and then we all got gastro and thought again about not having a third baby.


I had a baby that turned 1 (but this pic is just from a few days ago!)


And a big girl turn 4.

So for 2013, I kind of just want to find some quiet in my head, which can be a noisy place at times.  I want to start feeling more settled here, relax more and nourish all my relationships.


1 comments:

Callie said...

Yay for your year! Look how big those small peeps are. Wishing you all the loveliness in this year too. Maybe even visits to melbourne for certain weddings......?